- Old people love the Oak Ridge Boys. At work they accused me of meaning people in their 50s and 60s, so let me clarify: I mean 80s. The concert goer to walker ratio was much higher than any other concert I've attended.
- Grown men can pull of sequins. Spoiler Alert: You aren't getting socks and undershirts for Christmas this year, Dad.
- I only know two Oak Ridge Boys songs (Elvira and American Made). They had some good music, I just didn't know it.
- The word "tambourine" can be worked into any song in any genre (including Christmas songs).
- Aunt Kathy will clap and wave when Santa walks on stage (which was more entertaining to me than Elvira).
- There are more Christmas sweaters than a Christopher & Banks store in the audience of an Oak Ridge Boys show.
- Floor length fur coats and cowboy hats do go together.
- Two and a half hours is a little long for a show.
- A bass voice, while enjoyable as a highlight in a song, is not fun to listen to for an entire song.
- Christmas songs about Jesus are great. Christmas songs about the crucifixion don't set my toe a tapping.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Last night Aunt Kathy and I headed to the Civic Center to see the Oak Ridge Boys Christmas concert. It was an educational experience. I would like to share with you some of the things that I learned last night.