Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lessons from the Oak Ridge Boys

Last night Aunt Kathy and I headed to the Civic Center to see the Oak Ridge Boys Christmas concert. It was an educational experience. I would like to share with you some of the things that I learned last night.
  • Old people love the Oak Ridge Boys. At work they accused me of meaning people in their 50s and 60s, so let me clarify: I mean 80s. The concert goer to walker ratio was much higher than any other concert I've attended.
  • Grown men can pull of sequins. Spoiler Alert: You aren't getting socks and undershirts for Christmas this year, Dad.
  • I only know two Oak Ridge Boys songs (Elvira and American Made). They had some good music, I just didn't know it.
  • The word "tambourine" can be worked into any song in any genre (including Christmas songs).
  • Aunt Kathy will clap and wave when Santa walks on stage (which was more entertaining to me than Elvira).
  • There are more Christmas sweaters than a Christopher & Banks store in the audience of an Oak Ridge Boys show.
  • Floor length fur coats and cowboy hats do go together.
  • Two and a half hours is a little long for a show.
  • A bass voice, while enjoyable as a highlight in a song, is not fun to listen to for an entire song.
  • Christmas songs about Jesus are great. Christmas songs about the crucifixion don't set my toe a tapping.
It was a fun show. Kathy makes things that I would not enjoy by myself delightful. If only I could get her to help me clean my house.

6 comments:

slipsec said...

and mine! :)

crosenfe said...

I thought that many times when I was growing up. Somehow it always got put back on me.

Winky333 said...

I heard some fun stories from Karen about the Oak Ridge Boys playing at an anniversary for an implement company in Southern Iowa this summer....that's uptown, baby!

FlippyHolz said...

Yeah ok but you know that to me the ORB are the competition - my cousin is (proudly) a Statler Brother. True story.

essjay said...

Your post was very educational! I will admit that I'm shuddering at the sequins part...I'm going to have nightmares now!

Winky333 said...

Have you given up the blogosphere or just been busy...no new fun Squiddy posts to read lately. ;-)