Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beers of Colorado

I recently returned from a vacation in Summit County, Colorado. I'll be splitting up my vacation into a few posts, instead of writing a really long blog.

One of the things that we did in Colorado was visit breweries. The first one we stopped at was Tommyknocker Brewery in Idaho Springs. It was our dinner stop on the way to Jeff's apartment in Keystone. The food was great, and the beer was even better. After a sample of their beers we picked up a few for Jeff. I would give this brewery a solid A. Their beers were all very good.


The next day we headed to Breckenridge Brewery. I'm a big fan of their Vanilla Porter, so I was excited to check it out. Unfortunately, the beer was not as fantastic as I imagined it would be. However, even with average beer and food it's hard not to love being in Breckenridge.

The next day we took a hike after breakfast and ended up in Frisco. Frisco was a great town; heading off of the trail and into town we hit up a local coffee shop, a knitting store (Jeff and John were really excited about finding some yarn), and then headed to Backcountry Brewery. It was by far the best brewery we went to. After a sample of them all I decided on a wheat beer. It was the only time I had more than a sample of beer at any of the breweries.
We sat on the patio and enjoyed the beer. It was colder than Iowa, but nice enough to enjoy the patio.
Backcountry Brewery is Jeff's favorite in Summit County, so it was nice that we got to hang out with him there.
And if you needed further proof that this brewery is amazing, check out the view from the bathroom. That's right....the bathroom.

Our last night in Keystone we went to the Dam Brewery for happy hour. It was a disappointment. Think of all of the pun possibilities. Unfortunately, after noting hints of cauliflower in one of the beers all I can say is that I don't want another Dam beer.


1 comment:

Deirdre said...

That cauliflower-toned Dam beer would be a perfect partner for that horrid broccoli-filled burrito you had here in Mankato. Who'd've thunk you can make a bad burrito???