Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gingerbread


It's cold out. So cold that it's cold in my house. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm cheap and refuse to turn on my furnace in early October. I have on two sweatshirts and two pairs of socks, but I just can't shake the chill. So I broke down and did the reasonable thing.

No, I didn't turn on the furnace. I baked. Bake something at 350 for an hour and you can raise the temperature of my little house at least one degree. And you get a treat at the end. The furnace never gives me a treat, just a higher utility bill.

I've been baking a lot lately. Panith lent me her red KitchenAid mixer, and I want to make the most of my time with it. I love the mixer. I don't own a stand mixer, and I'm not sure why. They make baking so much easier. I love making bread when have a machine to do most of the kneading for me.

So today I whipped up some gingerbread. I'd never had real gingerbread before, so I thought I would give it a try. I figure when you are freezing your butt off in your own home, you might as well enjoy the spicy scent of gingerbread baking.

I think I might break down soon and turn the furnace on. Once it gets below 60 in here I'll turn it on....or I'll make cookies.

1 comment:

essjay said...

The cold is ridiculous isn't it? I had to turn the heat on and it is still freezing in here. I baked oatmeal cookies last night to make the house warmer. I too love my stand mixer and now it sounds like I need a bread maker!