Monday, October 12, 2009

Lace Scarf



For two months I've been working on a lace scarf. It was kind of frustrating. Sure, the wool I used was beautiful; soft merino wool is a great material to work with. I liked the yarn, I just didn't intend to spend so much time with it. Lace just takes forever. DK weight on size 3 needles? No thank you. After an hours worth of work I only worked about 3 inches. And, as my friend Sara put it, "lace looks like cat barf before you block it".

But I muddled through, and I'm very happy with the result. I think you should know: you will get sick of seeing this scarf. I intend to wear it a lot. Inside or out. Jacketed or shirted. It doesn't matter. I love it and you can't make me take it off. Get used to it.
This was my first lace knitting experience, and probably my last. Don't get me wrong, lace is fun to knit. I just don't see me taking to wearing lace. Also, blocking lace is a pain in the butt. I got lace blocking wires for this project, which helped with the process. I don't think I ever would have blocked it if I didn't have them. Like biking, having the right equipment makes a enormous difference.

8 comments:

Liz said...

It's beautiful, Sarah. :D Great job!

DiscKnits said...

Go you!

mary-claire said...

It's so pretty! Nice work.

I am sad to read that you don't plan on wearing lace collars with your shirts. I had such high lace hopes for you.

Unknown said...

You are more astounding every day. Such talent!

Deirdre said...

Sarah - this is gorgeous! You really are an exceptional knitter.

essjay said...

Thanks for the quote! HA! It looks FANTASTIC - not at all like cat barf!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. Very nice! You must bring it to show off next time you come to knit!

Allison said...

SJ, It is beautiful! You should be proud.