Sunday, April 18, 2010

Focaccia: Bread of the Week 16

This week was Focaccia in Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge. It seemed so promising. How could a bread that involves herb infused olive oil be bad? It looked beautiful and smelled even better.


But crumb wasn't there. My focaccia looked like pale cornbread. Instead of big chewy holes in my bread there was a fine crumb.
I was saddened that it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but I wouldn't have minded so much if I enjoyed the taste. I found it to be too oily. I had one piece with dinner and developed a stomach ache from the oiliness.

Usually when a bread doesn't turn out I'm up for making it again, as I'm sure it will be better the next time. With focaccia I'm going to throw in the towel. I'll stick with South Union focaccia from now on.

2 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I'm sorry that your foccacia didn't turn out...it wasn't your fault ~ I didn't use any oil on the bottom and put very little on top.

essjay said...

Too bad the foccacia hasn't been turning out well. I hope the next BBA challenge goes better!