Monday, June 30, 2008

June

Today is the last day in June. I can't believe how quickly this month flew by.

At the beginning of the month I decided to see if I could go the entire month without driving to work. Having the mindset of a six year old, I decided the best way to reward myself for not driving would be to give myself a star on my calendar each time I used alternative transportation.

As you can see, my calendar is full of stars. There isn't one for today, only because I took a vacation day to study for my final. I'm still not a fan of getting up early, but I am always happy I do once I get started. I took the bus two days last week, and I felt like a cheater.

I plan on biking in every day this week. I'm a little concerned about my motivation over the next two weeks. My biking partner is on vacation with his family, so I may talk myself into busing it. As long as I don't drive in, I'll still be doing pretty good.

2 comments:

Monica said...

lol!!! I love that your using stars on your calender as your motivation! Not a treat at the end of the week or month...like pumpkin pancakes or a new pair of shoes...but stars! :D Hey, I can certainly see how that works, with the visual there and wanting to keep that WHOLE month full of stars! Don't worry about when you have to take the bus, it's still an anlternate mode of transport! It would be going downtown anyways, even if you didn't get on it! :D

Deirdre said...

Great job Sarah! I'm so proud of you. Maybe in addition to stars on calendar you can reward yourself with bike accessories? Like a basket? Or a bell? Or even a card in the spokes to make sure you never sneak up on anybody? So many options...