Sunday, September 5, 2010

Poilane-Style Miche: Bread of the Week 36

This week I made a Poilane-Style Miche. It's a large whole wheat sourdough. I'm not exaggeration by saying large. The final dough used two pounds of flour. It was so big it needed to be mixed by hand. I got out my frustrations while kneading the bread. I let it rise for eight hours, so most of my day was spent waiting to bake the bread. I was excited because the bread even looked good before it was baked.
It looked even better when it came out of the oven. Once it cooled tried a slice. It was the best sourdough I've ever had. I'll be making it a lot because I want dip slices of this bread in my soup all winter.
In this picture you can see a wine cork used for scale. This truly was a dramatic loaf. It took up most of my baking stone while in the oven.


3 comments:

essjay said...

It looks fantastic!! I sure hope it tastes good since you have so much of it to eat!

misterrios said...

It is absolutely beautiful. I love the dark crust and the scoring.

Looking forward to more miche pics.

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Nicely done, indeed. I'm on a break while we face-lift our kitchen so I'm living vicariously through all of you who are still baking.