Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cornbread: Bread of the Week 13


John and I have started making dinner on Sunday nights. We take turns cooking, and usually we have fresh bread with whatever we're cooking. Last Sunday it was cornbread from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. It felt like cheating to make a quick bread. It did take two days to make, as you soak the cornmeal in buttermilk overnight to develop the flavor of the grain. Well, that's what you do if you remember to buy buttermilk. If you're me you just get up early and go to the store to buy it. I soaked it for over 8 hours and it tasted find.

I usually make cornbread from Baking Illustrated, and I actually prefer that recipe. I am not a big fan of bacon on cornbread. I also like it to taste sweeter, like a corn muffin. I did like using polenta instead of cornmeal; the texture was heartier. All in all I would say it was good cornbread, but I'll be sticking with the folks at Cooks Illustrated on this one.

The star of the dinner was not the bread. The star was the butternut squash apple cheddar soup that John made. It was so filling I couldn't finish a bowl. It had a lot of flavor and we'll be making it again. He never used to use recipes to cook, and now he's starting to follow them. It's nice to not be the only one cooking.

1 comment:

essjay said...

Shane loves corn bread & I've been struggling to find a good recipie. Need to pull Baking Illustrated off the shelf to try that. I do buy the cornbread/muffin/pancake/waffle mix from Paul's Grains (at the Farmer's Market or Gateway) and it makes the best cornbread I've found so far.