Friday, May 28, 2010

Divergent Desserts

This week I made dessert twice. I usually don't make dessert without a special occasion, but I ran across two recipes I wanted to try.

First up was rustic rhubarb tarts from the Smitten Kitchen. I love rhubarb and had been wanting to give making tarts a shot. The recipe calls for corn flour, corn meal, and white flour, giving the tarts a delicious cornbreadish flavor. As soon as I read the recipe I knew I would be raiding my next door neighbor Barb's rhubarb patch. After making and devouring one of the tarts I figured out the nutritional value; once I discovered they are approximately 400 calories each I decided that it was a good thing rhubarb season is so short.


After enjoying the tarts I decided to try my hand at a lighter dessert. I had been eyeing a recipe over at The Kitchn for one ingredient ice cream for a few months. The only ingredient is a frozen banana. All you have to do is slice a frozen banana and whir it in the food processor until it is the consistency of ice cream. I was blown away by the simplicity and deliciousness of this recipe (so much so that I scarfed it down before I took a picture). It actually tastes like ice cream. I'm glad that it's always banana season because I'll be making banana ice cream often.

3 comments:

mary-claire said...

I'm so glad you tried both of these! I'd forgotten about the frozen banana thing, and was really curious about the rhubarb tarts. Do you think you'll make them again?

Sarah said...

I'll make the rhubarb tarts again. Next time I'll wait until I have a party to go to so I'm not alone in my house with 10 decadent tarts.

essjay said...

The banana dessert makes me want to buy a tiny food processor just for that! I need to buy corn flour so I can make those tarts the correct way!