Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lavash Crackers: Bread of the Week 21

This week for the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge I made Lavash. Lavash is an Aremenian-style cracker. Lavash is different from spelt crackers that I tried back in February; these use white flour, there is yeast in the dough (the crackers need to rise for an hour and a half), there are more ingredients, and they are the most delicious crackers I have ever tried (sorry Wheat Thins Artisan Wisconsin Colby - there's a new cracker in town).



These crackers, topped with paprika, kosher salt, and cumin seeds, are addicting. John and I ate an entire sheet pan of these crackers in one sitting. We used them to eat hummus, but I think they would be just as good on their own.

Even with the rising time, these only take a few hours. They could even be made after work for dinner. I will probably be making these crackers over and over again. The dough can be rolled out thicker for pitas instead of crackers, so I may try that later this week.

3 comments:

essjay said...

Yum. I so clearly need to carve out time to do this project! #BBA

mary-claire said...

Those look so yummy! I bet they'd ship well...

misterrios said...

Awesome Crackers. I actually found the recipe to be a bit on the small side, especially since these go so fast. I'd love to see the pitas if you do bake some.